I’m a published writer with an extensive background in journalism and experience with marketing writing. I have spent years interviewing experts in a broad variety of fields, including business, technology, real estate, medicine, lifestyles, books, and the environment.
In 2013, I published an ebook on Amazon, Say It With Feeling! Business Writing in the Internet Age.
I have 15 years of writing and editing experience. In addition to journalism, I have done press releases, blog articles, bulletins, newsletters, technical papers, targeted emails, and presentations for diverse audiences.
I am a proven communicator and a confident, persuasive speaker. I can speak and write in French and Spanish as well as English.
|Excellent Writing/Editing Skills||Media Relations|
|Communications Development||Strategic Planning|
|Solid Prioritization Abilities||Effective Team Member|
|Strong Communication Skills||Website Oversight|
Freelance Writer, Seattle, Washington (1990 – Present)
· Develop original written content for targeted audiences of magazines, newspapers, websites, blogs, and business and online publications.
· Establish strong credibility with clients and editors through solid research, interviews and sources. Obtain factual information and authentic detail.
· Write or edit complex assignments under deadline for print or internet publication.
· Collaborate and present drafts to editors and clients for feedback. Edit and revise materials for publication.
· Have solid track record of meeting deadlines for variety of prestigious markets and publications.
· Use computers and communications equipment; oversee graphic design, web design, page layout, and multimedia software.
· Possess expertise in media relations processes and interviewing techniques. Act with sensitivity toward clients’ position in media, prepare effective responses for anticipated questions. Able to act quickly and calmly in crisis.
· Create and implement communications plans.
Hewlett-Packard, RealtyTrac, Seattle Post-Intelligencer, Baltimore Sun, South Florida Business Journal, First American Title, Miami New Times, Miami Herald, Newsday, Tampa Bay Times, Miami Magazine, Women’s Sports & Fitness Magazine, National Association of Home Builders, University of Miami, Puget Sound Business Journal, Forbes BrandVoice
Real Estate Agent and Newsletter Author, Princeville, Hawaii (2003 – 2012)
· Developed and executed strategic business plan, including communications strategy and media relations, resulting in successful operation of real estate business.
· Wrote and published Kauai Newsletter, an e-newsletter for over 1,000 subscribers to inform and educate them about island news and real estate.
· Created written advertising copy for listings and arranged for publication by wide variety print and online publications.
· Provided consulting services for investors, financial entities, and clients; assisted in decision-making process; gained commitment; brought real estate transactions to successful close.
· Wrote and published email blasts and other targeted advertising for real estate clients, partners, and associates.
· Project management: Executed contracts for buyers and sellers of real estate. Paid close attention to details and clients’ needs, insuring they were reflected in contracts. Managed contracts to close, usually 45 to 60 days, but sometimes up to a year.
· Project management: Ensured that contractual deadlines and obligations were met. Worked with all contract parties, including banks and outside vendors, to resolve conflicts and ensure successful closings.
· Project management: Provided instruction and mentoring to educate individuals in the property inspection process, which involves government regulations and safety issues. Issues included handling of hazards such as GFC wiring, safety violations, asbestos, mold, and lead. Received industry training on assisting homeowners with safety issues. Discussed and circulated safety publications and spoke directly to clients about them.
Top Referral Closer, 1st quarter 2007, Century 21 All Islands.
Outbound Referral Contest, winner 2005, Century 21 All Islands.
Reporter, Miami, Florida
- Researched topics, interviewed people, and wrote news and feature stories on deadline for six years.
U.S. Foreign Science and Technology Center (now National Ground Intelligence Center)
Intelligence Research Specialist (IRS), Charlottesville, Virginia
· Perfomed classified work for investigative governmental agency requiring high-level security clearance.
· Analyzed and reported information on foreign weapons systems. Translated documents concerning operations of French helicopter system.
· Performed oversight and development of strategic communications and intelligence information.
· Communicated effectively with investigative and regulatory agencies, industry organizations, and third-party spokespeople.
· Provided French translation as replacement for key employee who was on leave. Possess working fluency in oral and written French language.
U.S. Congressional Campaign
Press Secretary, Miami, Florida
· Performed public relations duties for US Congressional nominee Gerald Richman.
· Responded effectively to emergent issues impacting campaign, analyzed and quickly resolved problems.
· Directed strategic communications and provided support and counsel to campaign staff and volunteers.
Administration, Fairfax, Virginia
· Worked for JRB, a subsidiary of Science Applications Inc. (SAIC) as proofreader, then full-time technical editor while attending college.
· University of Washington, Seattle, Washington
Certificate, Technical Writing and Editing, 1-year course completed June, 2012
· University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Virginia
Master of Arts, English Literature
· George Mason University, Fairfax, Virginia
Bachelor of Arts, Psychology
Technology and Skills
· Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.
· Working knowledge (reading, speaking, writing) Spanish and French.
· Personal website and Blog: designed sites and oversee content, design, and maintenance