I’m a writer and editor with an extensive background in both journalism and content marketing. I have spent years interviewing, writing for, and writing about experts in a broad variety of fields.
In 2013, I published an ebook on Amazon, Say It With Feeling! Business Writing in the Internet Age.
I am a proven communicator and a confident, persuasive speaker.
Owner, Teresa Meek Communications
2000 – present
Develop original written content for targeted audiences of businesses and media companies
- Obtain factual information and authentic detail
- Create dynamic, effective marketing materials for clients in a variety of industries
- Write and edit complex assignments under deadline.
- Collaborate, edit, and revise materials for publication
Seattle Times, Newsmax Media, Inc., Puget Sound Business Journal, Miami Herald, South Florida Business Journal, Newsday, Baltimore Sun, Miami New Times, Tampa Bay Times, Miami Magazine (University of Miami), Women’s Sports & Fitness Magazine, National Association of Home Builders
Content Marketing Clients:
Coca-Cola, JPMorgan Chase, Hewlett-Packard, Forbes NetApp Voice, Forbes Delta Business Travel Voice, Forbes PTC Voice, RealtyTrac, Cars.com, Smartbear Software, Revolution Productions, Internet Law Centre, Excelon Development, Forties People, Squeeze Mobility, True Blue Life Insurance, First American Title, Wholesale Janitorial Supply, Touch-free Concepts
Contract Technical Writer at BECU (via TEKsystems)
Edited and rewrote financial documents for Washington’s largest credit union using Microsoft SharePoint software.
Digital News Reporter at Newsmax Media, Inc.
- Edited and produced trending news and feature stories designed to maximize engagement with online audiences.
- Worked on tight deadlines to deliver compelling articles in in line with site content strategy.
Real Estate Agent and Newsletter Author, Princeville, Hawaii
2003 – 2012
- Developed and executed strategic business plan, including communications strategy and media relations, resulting in successful operation of real estate business.
- Wrote and published Kauai Newsletter, an e-newsletter for over 1,000 subscribers to inform and educate them about island news and real estate.
- Created written advertising copy for listings and arranged for publication by wide variety print and online publications.
- Provided consulting services for investors, financial entities, and clients; assisted in decision-making process; gained commitment; brought real estate transactions to successful close.
- Wrote and published email blasts and other targeted advertising for real estate clients, partners, and associates.
- Project management: Executed contracts for buyers and sellers of real estate. Paid close attention to details and clients’ needs, insuring they were reflected in contracts. Managed contracts to close, usually 45 to 60 days, but sometimes up to a year.
- Project management: Ensured that contractual deadlines and obligations were met. Worked with all contract parties, including banks and outside vendors, to resolve conflicts and ensure successful closings.
- Project management: Provided instruction and mentoring to educate individuals in the property inspection process, which involves government regulations and safety issues. Issues included handling of hazards such as GFC wiring, safety violations, asbestos, mold, and lead. Received industry training on assisting homeowners with safety issues. Discussed and circulated safety publications and spoke directly to clients about them.
Reporter, Miami, Florida
- Researched topics, interviewed people, and wrote news and feature stories on deadline for six years.
U.S. Foreign Science and Technology Center (now National Ground Intelligence Center)
Intelligence Research Specialist (IRS), Charlottesville, Virginia
- Perfomed classified work for investigative governmental agency requiring high-level security clearance.
- Analyzed and reported information on foreign weapons systems. Translated documents concerning operations of French helicopter system.
- Performed oversight and development of strategic communications and intelligence information.
- Communicated effectively with investigative and regulatory agencies, industry organizations, and third-party spokespeople.
- Provided French translation as replacement for key employee who was on leave. Possess working fluency in oral and written French language.
U.S. Congressional Campaign
Press Secretary, Miami, Florida
- Performed public relations duties for US Congressional nominee Gerald Richman.
- Responded effectively to emergent issues impacting campaign, analyzed and quickly resolved problems.
- Directed strategic communications and provided support and counsel to campaign staff and volunteers.
Administration, Fairfax, Virginia
- Worked for JRB, a subsidiary of Science Applications Inc. (SAIC) as proofreader, then full-time technical editor while attending college.
- University of Washington, Seattle, Washington
Certificate, Technical Writing and Editing, 1-year course completed June, 2012
- University of Virginia,Charlottesville, Virginia
Master of Arts, English Literature
- George Mason University, Fairfax, Virginia
Bachelor of Arts, Psychology
Society of Professional Journalists, American Society of Journalists and Authors, Internet Press Guild, Society for Technical Communication, University of Virginia Alumni, Professional Bloggers, Northwest Independent Editors Guild